New York Bike Accidnet Lawyer
In 2014, there were 4,750 motorcycle accidents, 4,055 of which resulted in personal injury and 142 of which were fatal. Motorcycle accidents can be very tragic, life-altering events. There are several factors that may causes such accidents, and there are also safety precautions specifically for motorcyclists to take to protect themselves. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one were involved in a motorcycle accident, our highly trained lawyers will work with you through this devastating time period and get you the compensation you deserve. Call the MM Law firm to speak with a motorcycle accident lawyer or bike accident lawyer who is seasoned and ready to fight for you.
Top Causes for Motorcycle and Bike Accidents
- High and unsafe speed
- Similar to 4-wheeled vehicles, driving at high speeds increases the distance required for the vehicle to stop, increases the severity of the crash, and increases the likeliness of death and/or serious injuries. These dangers of high and unsafe speeds are actually magnified in the context of motorcycle accidents in comparison to 4-wheeled vehicles, due to the lack of exterior protection.
- Failure to yield right of wayWhen driving a vehicle, especially a motorcycle, predictability is important. Yielding the right of way provides us all with an understanding and form of communication when sharing the road with others, without having to verbally communicate with one another. When someone fails to abide by this understanding, particularly detrimental motorcycle accidents can occur.
- Driver inattention/distraction
- The dangers of driver inattention and/or distraction is heightened in the context of motorcyclists. Motorcycle accidents resulting from such distractions can be very serious due to the lack of exterior protection and the fluidity of motorcycles.
- Driver inexperience
- Statistically, motorcycle drivers who are well-trained get into less accidents than those who are not. Training and experience should be taken very seriously, and is something that can save your life.
- Following too closely
- Tailgating is something that no one should do, regardless of what type of vehicle they drive. This remains true for motorcyclists, especially due to their lack of exterior protection. Use common sense when driving.
Safety Tips for Motorcycle and Bike Accidents
Here are some things that motorcyclists can do to avoid becoming a statistic:
- Wear the correct protective gear, such gear includes helmets, eye protection, gloves, appropriate footwear, and protective clothing,
- Get proper training; the more training and experience you have, the less likely you are to be involved in an accident,
- Be visible to other drivers. Utilize your headlights and wear noticeable and reflective gear,
- Do not drink and ride. The risks that accompany drunk driving are just as applicable, if not more so, to drunk riding,
- Know the rules and laws of the road, and obey them. For example, do not speed and do not weave in between traffic,
- Be aware of parked vehicles which may open their doors to oncoming traffic,
- Be aware of potholes and uneven roadway surfaces.
Motorcycles and bikes are efficient and affordable vehicles of transportation especially in cities. In today’s environment of congestion and pollution, bicycle commuting is encouraged even as public policy. It’s about “clean-air” commuting. Many cities and towns have dedicated bicycle lanes of travel and bicycle hubs where people can simply rent bikes to travel within the city. All motorist including pedestrians must obey and respect these bike lanes. Likewise, motorcycles and bikes are equally required to obey the traffic rules of the road. Zigzagging or weaving through traffic exposes the rider to being clipped and injured not to mention injuring others especially pedestrians. Use proper precautions and signals to alert other drivers of your intention to turn. Just because you’re on a motorcycle or bicycle, be safe and smart.
Top-Rated Motorcycle Accident Lawyer & Bike Accident Lawyers
The MM Law Firm is home to top-rated Motorcycle accident lawyers and bike accident lawyers who are ready to fight for your motorcycle accident or bike accident case and obtain you the maximum recovery to which you are entitled.